Another Apple event is in the books. Was it all that you expected? Did the rumors come true? We compiled a list of everything you need to know from today’s event in a simple, easy to read post. Just the good stuff, none of the fluff. Ready, set, go!
- Customer satisfaction at 97%
- Watch OS2
- 3rd party complications (multiple things on your watch face at once)
- Adding Transit to Maps App
- 10,000+ Watch Apps currently on the watch store
- Facebook Messenger is coming to the watch (text/audio/location)
- iTranslate is coming (good for travelers)
- GoPro is coming (turns the watch into a viewfinder)
- AirStrip – new health app and data. DR can monitor patients live in hospital or home.
- Hermes watch bands are coming – leather, will be expensive
- New Gold Apple Watch color – both sizes
- New Rose Gold Apple Watch color – both sizes
- New Stainless Steel Watch with Product RED band to help fight AIDS
- New fall band colors are coming
- iPad Pro is finally here!
- Full-size keyboard because of the size
- Size will make slide-over in iOS 9 great
- Size: 12.9 inches across. Width of iPad Pro is the same as the height of the iPad Air 2.
- Screen: 56 Million Pixels. More than Retina MacBook Pro
- Stats: A9X chip. 64-bit chip. 1.8x faster than its replacement. 2x faster graphics. 80% faster than all portable PCs. 10-hours battery life. Four speaker audio system with auto balancing. 3x the audio volume of the iPad Air 2. 8MP iSight Camera and FaceTime camera. 60 FPS.
- iPad Pro gets a Smart Keyboard
- New Smart Connector to attach the iPad to the Keyboard (will bring a lot of new accessories to this connection)
- New Apple Pencil for iPad Pro. (no doubt mocking the popular ‘pen’ used with other mobile devices) Has a lighting connector in its base to plug into the iPad. Can be used in more than art apps. Can draw on emails and notes.
- Microsoft is now on stage, and Steve Jobs just rolled over in his grave.
- Cost: $799 for 32GB, $949 128GB, $1079 128GB +WiFi+Cellular
- Pencil $99
- Smart Keyboard $169
- You are looking at a minimum of $1000 to get a new iPad Pro with Pencil and Smart Keyboard.
- iPad mini 4 also launching with the power of the iPad Air 2. They glanced over this but this is cool. Starting at $399.
- All of these will be available in November.
- iPad Pro DOES NOT have 3D Touch (they are saying maybe in the iPad Pro 2 next year)
- iPhone 6S & iPhone 6S Plus are coming
- New Rose Gold aluminum finish
- 7,000 series aluminum for the Apple iPhone exclusively – no more bending?
- New glass – dual ION exchange process
- 3D Touch – (force touch?) New gestures by pressing down on screen items. Shortcuts. Peeks into other apps without launching them. Press lightly to peek into an app or email, press harder to get into the content. Peek into text links without opening Safari. Update social media apps without launching the app.
- Gaming with 3D Touch allows you to zoom in while playing. (shooting enemies, driving through corners)
- 3rd Gen 64-bit Chip
- 70% Faster CPU Tasks
- 90% Faster Graphics, 60 FPS
- 2nd Gen Touch ID sensor – 2x as fast.
- All-new iSight Camera: 12MP, 50% more pixels, 50% better autofocus. Can take a 63MP panorama photo.
- iPhone can now shoot 4K video
- New 5MP FaceTime iSight Camera
- Front screen can now be used as a flash for selfies
- Live Photos – Using 3D Touch you can bring your photos to life by pressing on the screen. Can have sound. Take the photo as you normally would and the phone automatically saves 3 seconds. (how much memory will this eat up?)
- 2x Faster LTE connection
- 2x Faster WiFi connection
- Both new phones will run on iOS 9
- New App to move your Android phone contents to iPhone with a simple click. Ha!
- New silicone and leather cases are coming in 11 color ways
- iPhone 6S: $199, $299, $399 (16GB, 64GB, 128GB)
- iPhone 6S Plus: $299, $399, $499 (16GB, 64GB, 128GB)
- New iPhone upgrade program in Apple retail stores. Get a new phone every year. Starting at $32/month.
- iOS 9 Available next week on September 16
- New Apple TV with Siri
- New remote control with swiping and force touch controls
- Remote is also a game controller and is Bluetooth (no need to aim it at your TV)
- No more batteries! Charge with lighting port. Battery lasts 3 months per charge.
- Built-in microphone to interact with Siri
- Completely new visual redesign
- Siri will show you which Apps have the content you are looking for – iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, etc
- High definition video screen savers exclusively for Apple TV
- User interface looks and feels like using your iPhone or iPad
- New tvOS Software- creating apps for Apple TV
- Lots of Games are coming – Star Wars, Guitar Hero, Crossy Road (multiplayer games coming as well with iPhone or iPad as second controller)
- The remote reminds us of the Wii controller with a touch surface interface added
- You can now shop for clothing and other items via new Apps like Gilt
- New MLB App – allows for split-screen game watching
- NHL Game Center Live is also coming in 2016!
- Games will be linked between your iPhone, iPad and Apple TV
- Cost: $149 32GB, $199 64GB
- Available in late October
So, did all of the rumors you were hungry for come true? It seems for the first time in a long time, ours did. We got the new phones, we got the new Apple TV, we got the new iPad. What didn’t we get that we were hoping for? Waterproofing features on iOS devices. Come on Apple, it’s time to let us not worry about our devices getting splashed or a lightly rained on. We’d be okay with basic splash protection for now. Let’s hope we see this soon as Sony and Samsung already offer waterproof devices.
Thanks for tuning in to our straight-up, no-nonsense coverage of today’s Apple event. Share it with everyone you know! Cheers.
[Images: Courtesy of Apple]