It’s really tough to beat the Rolex GMT-Master II timepiece. So hard that there are more imitations of this watch than any other in the marketplace. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. That may be true but please, with a timepiece like the new Oyster Perpetual GMT-Master II, accept no imitations. The best never rest and that could not be more true than with the new offering from Rolex. Doing what has never been done before, Rolex has discovered a way to manufacture two-colour ceramic. We guarantee you’ve never seen this before.
The new-generation GMT-Master II with two-colour Cerachrom bezel inserts in ceramic is a distillation of Rolex expertise and technology that remains faithful to the style of the legendary watch created in 1955. The new version features an arrow-tipped hand which circles the dial once every 24 hours as well as a bidirectional rotatable 24-hour graduated bezel. This 24-hour hand displays the reference time in a first time zone (‘home’ time for example), which can be read on the graduations on the bezel. Monitoring two separate time zones could not be easier by simply “jumping’ from hour to hour thanks to Rolex’s ingenious mechanism operated via the winding crown. A third time zone can also be displayed by turning the graduated bezel the corresponding number of hours. The time in this zone is indicated by the 24-hour hand against the bezel. This is a true travelers timepiece.
Rolex GMT-Master II Features:
- Model Case: Oyster (monobloc middle case, screw-down case back and winding crown)
- Diameter: 40mm
- Material: 18ct, white gold, satin and polished finish
- Case Back: Screw-down with Rolex fluting
- Bezel: Bidirectional rotatable 24-hour graduated, with two-colour Cerachrom insert in red and blue ceramic, engraved numerals and graduations coated with platinum via magnetron sputtering (PVD)
- Winding Crown: Screw-down, Triplock triple waterproofness system
- Movement: 3186, Manufacture Rolex Mechanical movement with bidirectional self-winding via Perpetual rotor
- Functions: Centre hour, minute and seconds hands; 24-hour display via an additional hand; Second time zone via independent rapid setting of the hour hand; Instantaneous date at 3 o’clock, Stop-seconds for precise time setting
- Jeweling: 31 rubies
- Power Reserve: Approximately 48 hours
- Dial and Colour: Black lacquer
- Hour Markers: Highly legible Chromalight appliques (long-lasting luminescence) in 18 ct white gold
- Hands: Chromalight hands in 18 ct white gold, red 24-hour hand
- Bracelet: Oyster, three-piece solid links
- Clasp: Oysterlock folding safety clasp, Easylink 5 mm comfort extension link
To learn more about the new watch and the history of Rolex, visit their website here.
Don’t miss anything from our coverage of Baselworld 2014 by clicking here or any Baselworld tags at the bottom of related posts!