2013 Amgen Tour of CA – Stage 8 – The Finish!
Words and Photos by Adam Bendig and Mike Mische (where noted)
The 2013 Amgen Tour of California concluded sunday May 19, with a ceremonial jaunt from San Francisco, through the Marin Headlands and up the coast to Santa Rosa, home of BMC Racing and former multiple time winner of the race, Levi Leipheimer. An early 8am start at the Golden Gate bridge brought the racers through the beautiful nature preserves while the air was brisk and the sun low. A small breakaway formed, of Thomas De Gendt of Vacansoleil-DCM, Jason Mccartney of Bissell Pro Cycling, and Antoine Duchesne of the Bontrager Cycling Team, which led the peloton north.
The break took the intermediate sprint points, leaving only the finish as a final opportunity for Tyler Farrar to break Peter Sagans streak of green jersey wins. The route called for two laps of a circuit through Santa Rosa, allowing the team a few peaks at the finish to get prepared. Optum, Saxo Bank and Omega Pharma-Lotto all had grans hopes of picking up a stage win, but with the green jersey on the line Garmin and Cannondale controlled the field. With 1k to go, Garmin attempted to take over, but Cannondale still managed to position Sagan in a way that allowed him to claim his fourth straight green jersey at the Amgen Tour of California.
Tejay Van Garderen retained the gold leaders jersey, for his first major stage race victory, Lawson Craddock of Bontrager retained his position as the best young rider, and Carter Jones of Bissell Pro Cycling took home the polka dot climbers jersey.
AEG did a great job this year of mixing up the route enough to make it challenging for the riders and enjoyable to watch, even if the desert weather didn’t quite cooperate.
Official Results of Stage 8
1. Peter SAGAN, Cannondale, in 3:04:07
2. Daniel SCHORN, NetApp-Endura, at :00
3. Tyler FARRAR, Garmin-Sharp, at :00
4. Gianni MEERSMAN, Omega Pharma-Quick Step, at :00
5. Ken HANSON, Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies, at :00
6. Thor HUSHOVD, BMC Racing, at :00
7. Michael MATTHEWS, Orica-GreenEdge, at :00
8. Jacobe KEOUGH, UnitedHealthcare, at :00
9. Sylvain CHAVANEL, Omega Pharma-Quick Step, at :00
10. Matt BRAMMEIER, Champion System, at :00
11. Juan Antonio FLECHA GIANNONI, Vacansoleil-DCM, at :00
12. Jasper STUYVEN, Bontrager, at :00
13. Frank Kevin PIPP, Bissell, at :00
14. Jeremy VENNELL, Bissell, at :00
15. Javier Alexis ACEVEDO COLLE, Jamis-Hagens Berman, at :00
16. Tejay VAN GARDEREN, BMC Racing, at :00
17. Philip DEIGNAN, UnitedHealthcare, at :00
18. Mathias FRANK, BMC Racing, at :00
19. Luis ROMERO AMARAN, Jamis-Hagens Berman, at :00
20. Cameron MEYER, Orica-GreenEdge, at :00
Official OVERALL Results of the 2013 Amgen Tour of CA
1. Tejay VAN GARDEREN, BMC Racing, in 29:43:00
2. Michael ROGERS, Saxo-Tinkoff, at 1:47
3. Javier Alexis ACEVEDO COLLE, Jamis-Hagens Berman, at 3:26
4. Mathias FRANK, BMC Racing, at 3:32
5. Cameron MEYER, Orica-GreenEdge, at 3:33
6. Matthew BUSCHE, RadioShack-Leopard, at 3:50
7. Francisco MANCEBO PEREZ, 5HR, at 4:52
8. Lawson CRADDOCK, Bontrager, at 5:24
9. Philip DEIGNAN, UnitedHealthcare, at 5:33
10. Chad HAGA, Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies, at 5:52
11. Leopold KONIG, NetApp-Endura, at 6:03
12. Marc DE MAAR, UnitedHealthcare, at 6:28
13. David DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO, NetApp-Endura, at 8:58
14. Nathaniel ENGLISH, 5HR, at 11:17
15. Brian VANDBORG, Cannondale, at 11:32
16. Laurent DIDIER, RadioShack-Leopard, at 11:40
17. Haimar ZUBELDIA AGIRRE, RadioShack-Leopard, at 11:51
18. Lucas EUSER, UnitedHealthcare, at 12:41
19. Bartosz HUZARSKI, NetApp-Endura, at 14:29
20. Lieuwe WESTRA, Vacansoleil-DCM, at 14:59
BMC Racing leads gold jersey Tejay Van Gardener through HWY 1 past the Marin Headlands to the cool and lush coast of Northern California. (Photo by Mike Mische)
Riders found freshly paved twisty two lane after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.
Lieuwe Westra (VCM), Jason Mccartney (BPC) and Antoine Duchesne (BCT) carve ahead of the peloton in stage 8.
The peloton works through a riders paradise of curvy rolling roads through the beautiful Marin Headlands.
The riders see the Pacific Ocean after leaving it in Avila Beach for San Jose and Mt Diablo.
That concludes our coverage of this years Amgen Tour of California. We hope you enjoyed the words and photos! Please share them with your friends! Cheers!